Monday, January 18, 2010

Turning on the Lights (Week 2)

This is an interesting article that has many points that I agree with and few points that I can disagree with. I believe strongly that today's classrooms are far to boring and unproductive compared to what they could potentially be. During the article Prensky quotes a ten year old as saying she is bored "99% of the time" that she is in class. I believe that in order to help solve this problem, schools need to allow for more technology to enter the classroom. Instead of "powering off" we need to open up the resources and the technological advancements and to relate the content in new exciting and different ways then we ever have before. Boredom and classroom lectures is the best way, in my opinion, to disengage students and to hurt their chances of learning to the best of their ability. We are short changing our students by not allowing technology into the classrooms. As Prensky writes, he is describing how students are far more advanced when they enter the schools then ever before in the history of education. This is something that needs to be built upon and taking advantage of. We, as educators, can help, now more then ever, students reach potentials that were unattainable to prior generations and students. I believe strongly that technology, when used properly, can propel students to new intellectual heights.

No comments:

Post a Comment