Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Assignment #1: Technology Literacy

Assignment #1:Technology Literacy,link to page

As a health and fitness educator is was difficult to find journal articles discussing the use of technology in my particular field. I was, however, able to find an article that demonstrated the use of technology in other fields, I would then be able to incorporate these techniques into my health classroom. The article I found is called "Technology-based Classroom Assessment", by Spencer J. Salend. This article came from "Teaching exceptional Children; July/August 2009, Vol. 41 issue 6, pg 48-58.

The summary of this article is complex. The author touches on many ways that the students and teachers can use technology to both and assess and learn. The range of topics include technology-based active responding system (clickers), digital observation/diaries, technology based educational games, technology-based performance assessment, engaging in computer simulations and virtual learning experiences, teaching students to be good digital citizens, digital divide, and creating digital portfolios. The article discusses how students and the form of education are changing. It is important to incorporate technology into education because that is what sparks children in today's society. Assessing the students through technology can have its benefits on both the student and the teacher. For students it can develop a love for learning of technology and the academic skills it requires to move the students forward. For teachers it can be beneficial because it can monitor the students learning progress and inform their instructional decision making. This article highly supports technology in the classroom which is important because like it or not, technology is a major part of education and the world we live in.

This article talked about many important issues but I focused particularly on a few certain areas. The three that I felt were most important and most likely what I would want to incorporate into my health classroom's were the technology-based active responding system (clickers), technology-based educational games, and bridging the digital divide. I feel that with the clickers, I, as a teacher, would be able to quickly and accurately be able to assess where my students are in terms of learning the certain material in a matter of moments. This would help me to understand what I need to explain in more detail and what information are the students learning and able to move on from. The technology-based educational games that I could use in my classroom are the students writing down everything they eat over a week period and plugging it into a food pyramid data base and let the students see first hand the effect their food choices have on their overall health. It is a great teaching tool when the students can put there real experiences down and see results that apply to them specifically. Last this world is becoming more and more technologically advanced, these students need practice with technology and to become fluent with it. I believe by incorporating some of these tactics into my classroom, I will better prepare my students for the real world.

NETS-Teachers (2. Design and Develop Digital-Age Learning Experiences and Assessments)
I chose this area because I feel it is extremely important for the students to experience digital learning and to become fluent with the ever changing technology. I also believe it is important that the teacher assess his or her students and to do so in a way that similar to the students learning with technology. Some students do not have the luxury of owning a computer, TV, video games, etc. The school can stand to be an equalizer between the wealthy and the poor and give the students equal opportunity and I feel it is important that the teacher take advantage of that and create technological experiences for his or her students. Three ways that I will be able to work on this standard is to do as much research as I can. I will look into the use of technological assessments, such as clickers, in classrooms around this area. I will make sure that I am aware of the advancements in technology by researching internet data bases. In health classes, or in any subject, students learn best when they are using themselves as examples. In a health class it is easy to incorporate individual lessons. I will develop and find different ways that students can enter there eating habits and exercise regimens into the computer and give them feedback on there living conditions and the choices they are making. Once the students learn there habits and what is healthy and what is not, I will then allow for each student to personally develop a plan of action for their future and what they would like to do with their exercise and eating habits. This will allow for them to take over their education and set their own goals and expectations for themselves.

NETS-Students (4. Critical thinking, problem solving, and decision making)
As a health teacher and an active person I believe it is important to identify problem areas and fix them through hard work. This is an important skill for students to obtain because no matter what path life leads you down you must be able to make good decisions after much thinking. Life also requires you to be able to solve problems and work well with other people. I believe these characteristics are important in all of life's adventures and hurdles. Two assignments that can relate to this standard would be the food pyramid. Many students and parents do not eat healthy meals or exercise as much as the body requires. In this assignment the student will log all their meals throughout the first half of the semester and plug it into the data base to see what food groups are receiving proper nutrition and what groups are either lacking or have to much of. This will allow for the students to see the problem in their eating habits and allow for them to develop a plan of action and to turn in a project that outlines how they intend to fix their UN-healthy diets. Another potential assignment is similar, it deals with the amount of exercise a student performs. The most important factors in maintaining and living a healthy lifestyle are diet and exercise. The students will keep a log of how often they exercise and to which the intensity of their exercise is. This will allow them to see both their eating habits and exercise habits and help for them to develop a plan of action to make sure they meet the requirements that their young bodies need. This will allow for them to crtically solve problems by planing and thinking ahead. I believe being able to solve problems is one of the most important skills in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment